Friday, November 21, 2008

"Twilight"- Schmilight!

*For those of you who have read the Twilight books and loved them, you may disagree with me on this point and probably should stop reading this right now.*

I read the Twilight books and actually liked the first one, although I thought the content was MUCH too mature for its intended target audience of tweens and teenagers. But since it was entertaining, I read the second book which I thought was not as good as the first and lacked the amount of action of the first. Although I wasn't thrilled with the second, I still read the third.

Now, I don't know about you, but if I start a book (or movie) I have a very hard time NOT finishing it, no matter how bad it may be (except in cases of vulgar language). Half way through the third book, I actually WANTED the lead character, Bella, to die! I wanted her to get caught by the bad vampire and die. I was sick of her incessant whining and pining over her two "love interests." I guess it was indicitive of a 17 year old girl in "love", but it still was really annoying.

But as I said before, I felt almost obligated to finish the series, so I read the fourth and final book and that somewhat redeemed the series for me. Overall I am not a fan of the books and even less of a fan of the upcoming movie(s).

What makes this "Twilight" craze harder for me to watch is that fact that young girls, 10, 11, & 12 years old have read these books over and over again; a book that I feel is much too mature for them. I guess this makes me an old fuddy-duddy, but I just can't believe that responsible parents are allowing their young daughters to read about a girl, with almost no parental supervision, whose boyfriend (although a vampire) stays over night in her room with her, unbeknownst to her clueless father.

And the other thing I completely don't understand is how a book, that is targeted to girls under the legal driving age, can be so popular with 40 year old women! Last Sunday at church, someone passed out a flyer to announce they were all meeting tonight to attend the opening of the Twilight movie.

By the way, here is a recent review of "Twilight" from Screenit.com.....
"TWILIGHT" (2008) (Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson)(PG-13)Drama/Horror: After relocating to a small town to live withher dad, a teenager meets and ends up falling for a teenage vampire who's torn between his love for her and his appetitefor her blood. Based on the novel of the same name, this is bad in a "Mystery Science Theater 3000" sort of way. There's purposefully overwrought teen angst, melodrama and soap opera trappings, a languid pace, mediocre to often bad direction, bland acting, really cheesy special effects, and a story that should have had a stake run through it due to being quite trite. All of which means the film is a chore to sit through, especially in its 120 or so minute incarnation. Rated PG-13, the film contains a little profanity, sexually related material (comments, brief fooling around, one girl showing a lot of cleavage),vampire-related violence, unsettling, suspenseful and/or scary moments, alcohol content, and a drug comment made as a metaphor."


It just strengthens my resolve that Hollywood is running out of good ideas and simply CAN NOT produce a movie that is free from sex, violence, drugs, and bad language, despite the non-R rating. I guess I'll just have to finish writing my movie I dreamed up a few years ago. I've had 110 pages written for years. Maybe I'll have time to finish it now that I'm home more....Nah. Who am I kidding?

4 comments:

  1. AMEN!!! AMEN!!! (except for the comments of the 4th book because I couldn't stand that book!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to compare it to Titanic because it's so different. One is light hearted and the other is serious. I liked the book and I thought the movie followed closer than any other book/movie I've seen and read. I was worried about it being too cheesy, but it wasn't bad. Anything close to being cheesy got a good laugh from the audience so it made it fun. As far as the special effects go...I imagine it would be hard to film a guy running as fast as he could and look normal. On the trailers it almost looked like he was flying...but in the movie it didn't seem like it that much. I thought the special effects in the fight scene were good. I enjoyed the movie, but then again I also liked the book. I do like the Harry Potter books the best though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey gal! DeAna here--got your comment on our family blog. Wow, it's been a long time!! I've added your blog address on my list so I can see how you're doing every so often. My email address is deana_boren@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN on it being WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY to mature for the targeted audience. i about die when someone tells me their 7yr old is reading it or see a YW at church reading it!? wow. unfortunately i know my opinion is not popular because to everyone else it seems that all the feelings of desire decribed in the movie were perfectly acceptable but i thought it was a little too much (for the targeted audience). also, i think the movies got MORE adventurous as i read but agree, i wished bella would die with all her whining etc. in the end, i was missing a lot in the story and wished there was more to tell and in general, the writing was very...amature maybe? not that i would compare stories to harry potter but for instance, j.k. rowling was a very good writer, the grammer was so good and descriptions led your immagination to equal the reality. she left no stone unturned as far as she didn't leave any loose ends.
    what happens with leah? seth? how could renee be completely left out of the whole book (especially the end) but referred to constantly. how did she leave out billy and tease about his presence & knowledge so much but never develop his character more!? i kept waiting for him to become a wherewolf as an old man! ugh! anyway, despite my rants and dissappointments, i liked the books for what they are and actually look forward to the movies... sort of. i just hope i don't have to see their sex scene, especially with the 'target audience' around me. arg. xoxo lila
    great post bfffffff

    ReplyDelete