Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Dirty Story

We've been working with Lincoln since Thanksgiving to get him potty trained. He had a hard time at first, then we got him a "froggy potty" and everything changed for the better! He did very well after that but still had a hard time learning how to go "No. 2" in the potty.

He's now since graduated from the "froggy potty" and won't go anywhere but a big-boy potty...not even on a tree. Isn't that a right of passage for boys?

We had months of wet pants and poo poo undies. Finally after having cleaned yet another pair of undies with poo, we decided to bribe him with a toy. He is SUPER into Toy Story, so our first thought was to get a "Sherriff Woody" doll. But there was a little Lotso figure with a truck Josh thought would work better. We bought it and showed it to him saying, "If you go poo poo in the potty, you get Lotso."

"Lotso!" he would say. "Not until you go poo poo in the potty."

I can't tell you how many times we said this. Finally, after about a month of trying to bribe him, I was about to give up, then I went to check on him during nap time. He was in the bathroom and had poo all over his hands and toilet paper in the pot, but no poo. He looked at me and said, "Poo poo in the potty! Yeah!" I asked him if he went in the potty and he said Yes. I was still skeptical but I wanted to reward him, so he got Lotso.

Two days later, the same thing happened. I didn't witness it, but again congratulated him and made a big deal of it. He has also taken to closing us out of the bathroom to do his business. So finally I made a point to sit down in the bathroom with him to witness the deed. And YES, he did it!

We've made huge strides in his potty training now. He lets us know when he has to go, or he'll just say, "I gotta go" and run to the potty himself. He washes he hands with soap, drys then off, and comes running out saying "I pee peed" or "I poo pooed". He still has accidents every now and then, but he's done wonderfully.

Now onto the next issue....His teachers sent home a note saying he told them he had to potty three times and then went, but they had to constantly tell him to take his hand out of his pants. That's a daddy conversation because I just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment